> I guess I miss understood the concept of dependencies.  I thought that it
> was used only for .jars that were in a repository say commons-lang-2.4,
> but if you have some  api from a vendor, say vendor.jar, that you didn't have
> to configure a decency for that.....

Yes, this is a misunderstanding on your part.

Eventually, everything you depend on needs to be in a repository
somewhere for Maven to use it -- either your local repo cache, a
corporate repo with limited access to your local dev team, or a public
repo like Central.

Don't get suckered into thinking you can get around this by using
system-scope, that is a guaranteed path to failure. Instead, use
install:install-file and deploy:deploy-file.

Wayne