On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Brian Fox <bri...@infinity.nu> wrote:
> The reason is simple:

Simple, but not obvious ;)

> Maven needs at least one snapshot repo configured, or it won't even
> attempt to ask anyone (specifically Nexus via the mirrorOf * setting)
> for any snapshots. Maven has built in an existing repository with the
> ID central but it is enabled only for releases. We must do either: 1)

I was kind of guessing that.  So, Maven, by default has the actual
Maven Central Repo defined under the id "central" . . . I didn't quite
realize that before.

> define another repo as snapshot only, or 2) enable snapshots for the
> built in central id. The example chooses 2. We could have used 1, but
> since I put in the example from years of habit, that's what stuck ;-)

So, in a nutshell, you've redefined the repo with id of central to
point somewhere else, the bogus URL, and then mirrored it with the
wildcard.

> You'll also note that I like to redefine the url as well so that when
> maven spits out what it's doing, it's immediately apparent if my
> settings are ignored or not.

Makes perfect sense.  Thanks for the explanation.