I've tested a multimodule build, on ubuntu 10.04.
The build ran fine, except the warnings complaining about the missing
versions of the plugins inside <build>/<plugins>:

[WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin is missing.
[WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin is missing.
[WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin is missing.

and about my parameterized artifact version:
[WARNING] 'version' contains an expression but should be a constant.

Well, those warnings are a little bit annoying, although the build ran
successfully.
But, at the end, I''ll keep on using the 2.2.1 version, cause I'm not
going through
all my poms setting plugins versions and I need to keep my projects version
parameterized.