Still not seeing the promised speed up when on a mac (and actually
always a bit slower).
But definitely seeing the improved times on a linux box (Linux
2.6.32-24-server #41-Ubuntu x86_64 GNU/Linux )

So it seems that if you are on a mac then be aware that upgrading to
mvn 3 could at best give you the same build times as mvn 2 and at
worst be a tad slower out of the box.

If you run with -T options it seems to deliver on performance.

The typical build times with mvn 2 are:
Linux: Total time: 57 seconds (always < 1m)
Mac: Total time: 1 minute 11 seconds (usually around this time +-5 seconds)

Initial build times using Apache Maven 3.0-RC1 (r997478; 2010-09-15
14:57:55-0500)
Linux: Total time: 1:53.554s
Mac: Total time: 1:56.945s

Subsequent build times:
Linux: Total time: 48.646s
Mac: Total time: 1:20.053s

I'm only added the last run of 3 from each since the runs were all pretty close.
This was tested on 2 different macs but only 1 linux box (which is a
hefty box so the times are a bit unfair towards the linux box).

Running with -T 1c brings the mac builds under a minute (2 cores on the macs).
Mac: Total time: 58.675s (Wall Clock)
And an astounding 1/2 time builds on the linux box (8 cores)
Linux: Total time: 32.193s (Wall Clock)