On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Guillaume Bilodeau
<gbilod...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find anything
> related to this subject.
>
> I've been working for a while with Maven 2 now, but only with single-module
> projects.  I am now working on a multi-module project with a flat structure
> and have stumbled on some interesting behaviour that I can't explain.
> Basically, running "mvn clean install" on the parent POM seems to be running
> the "clean" goal on every module, then the "install" goal on every module.
> This causes problems when building the project, since artifacts are not
> installed in the repository in an order that allows module changes to be
> visible to other dependent modules.
>
> Is this normal and how should I deal with this behaviour?  I'm using Maven
> 2.2.1.

If module B depends upon A,
have you made sure that in module B's pom you declare the dependency
on the artifcats of A?
I suspect that you aren't.

Maven will calculate your dependncy graphy between modules and ensure
that they are built in the correct order.

So you randomly order your modules, like
<module>Z</module>
<module>A</module>
<module>G</module>
<module>B</module>

And if Z -> G -> B -> A (where -> indicate the project depends on the
on the one to the right) then the build order will be A, B, G, Z.