For property values -- I setup a .properties file for each of our
environments with the default being 'dev'.  So for a default build, the dev
properties are used.  but when its time to build for QA or Production, you
add a cmd line argument accordingly:   mvn install -DenvType=QA

So I something like this in my top level pom:
<properties>
    <envType>dev</envType> <!-- Default Environment value -->
    <PomRoot> path to root pom </PomRoot>

and then use:
<build>
    <filters>
      <filter>${PomRoot}/${envType}Config.properties</filter>
    </filters>

Then create:
devConfig.properties
qaConfig.properties
... or whatever environment names you need

This lets me use environment specific properties anywhere in the build.  It
works quite well.