Understood. So you want your users to download the WAR directly from either
your m2repo (weird) or from a Maven repository tool like Nexus, right?

In that case, I don't think it's a Maven problem. You should consider deploying
your generated war file to a web server like Apache (through
maven-resources-plugin for example). Or you might also have an Apache in front
of your Nexus server that is correctly configured to rewrite
"/xyz/distributeme.war" to the correct location of the latest war in Nexus, and
then it'll be downloaded as distributeme.war.

Regards,
Reynald