I'll watch this issue as I'm really interested in how it might be handled.

Personally I don't have a clear position here.
Sometimes I'd like the property interpolation to be a little more dynamic. It would e.g. be great if I could activate a profile by the existence of a file whose path contains an interpolatable token (like 'src/main/filters/${target.environment}/something.properties'). But I understand that something like this might lead to confusing interpolation behaviour which sometimes could be hard to maintain. Like Luke wrote, those build configurations would be less declarative.

What about introducing something like property scopes and/or types?
  <properties>
    <my-prop scope="..." type="...">foo</my-prop>
    <!-- 'scope' = 'global|pom' -->
    <!-- 'type' = 'mutable|immutable' -->
  </properties>
This was just a spontaneous idea, not really well-thought (yet).