When I use
mvn compile war:war
instead, I get the same error I was getting before:
"Error assembling war:  webxml attribute is required"

  The web page you pointed me to has one project structure but I am using a
different project structure, which involves having two modules in one project.
So I pasted in the source for the pom for the web part.  There seems to be a
requirement that I have something like
Project dir
    core
      src
        main
    web
       src
          main
              webapp
                     aaa
                         bbb
                            ccc
                              FrontController.java
                     WEB-INF
                        web.xml

In case this loses formatting in email, core and web are at the same directory
level under the project directory and aaa and WEB-INF are at the same directory
level under webapp.

Do I need to do more to tell Maven the paths under web so that it can find
WEB-INF?  Thanks.

Ken

Kenneth D. Litwak, Ph.D.
Azusa Pacific University