In addition to trimming the war (definitely a good idea)...

In your first post, you mentioned mvn.bat - so I will assume you are in a
Windows environment.  Where is your ${user.home} located: local or remote?
I have seen at least one corporate environment where (for Sysadmin
convenience) home directories were kept on a central server.  This was not a
big deal to Word and PowerPoint users, who only download one file at a time,
but a huge hit to maven as people were constantly hitting .m2/repository
*ACROSS-THE-WIRE*.