Wayne is absolutely right ( and one of the best resources in the forum).

Maven imposes a very rigid way of organizing software development.
If you fight it, you will lose.
You can prolong the date of final defeat but you will lose.

If you want to gain the productivity that Maven can give:

1) Learn the "Maven way".
2) Follow the "Maven way".
3) Get a Maven repo installed. I like Nexus but others are available.
4) Don't try to treat Maven as Ant or some other scripting language.
5) If it is too hard, you are not doing it right.
6) Don't be afraid to have many projects that depend on each other.
7) Build and test your low level libraries and then reference them in higher level projects as dependencies as if someone else had written them. That is, expect that they are tested and working according to a specification and come with a warranty. If not, fix them before using them.

If you do this, you will love Maven.
If you are not prepared to do this, use another tool.

Maven will either make you do things the Maven way or force you to abandon it for another approach.
Fighting Maven is a lost cause.

Ron