On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 9:44 AM, kanesee <kane...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I would like to be able to call a maven phase like compile in the
> top-level parent project and have it combine all of its
> dependencies/submodules. That's really the only reason I'm using modules
> instead of sticking with dependencies.

So why are you trying to include a module twice?
Having them declared once will allow you to do this.

If they are not logically part of the same system (i.e. when you run
mvn release) they shouldn't be modules.
So you are better off having two (or more) separate projects and you
have to run mvn in each project when you need to.

You can reduce/remove the need to run "mvn" until you are ready to
commit into your version control system and run the unit tests by
* Using continuous integration (e.g. jenkins)
* Configuring your IDE so that you work there most of the time.  e.g
Eclipse can depend upon the other projects in your workspace (even
though they are separate maven projects) so that you get all the
benefits of fast compilation done by your IDE.  You only need to break
out to a shell to double check that everything works in maven too.