I guess I don't really understand the Maven modules then.

Well, this is what I have. My company has a bunch of "components" and our
own home-brewed build system. We want to translate it to the Maven
environment.
The "library components" depend on each other in that they may reference
classes in other components (but no cyclic references exist). So there may
be library component A, B, and C. Let's say A and B both depend on C.
We also have "product components" that groups the library components it
needs for a product. So product X may need A and product Y may need A and B.

I'd like to be able to run mvn on the product components and have it
automatically compile and package its library components.

So is dependency or module more appropriate here or some mix of the two?