On 26 August 2011 07:02, Brian Topping <topp...@codehaus.org> wrote:
> A lot of people use antrun, see
> http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/downloads/pdf/hurricane_map_english.pdf.  I
> personally do that as a last resort.

What does a hurricane map have to do with Ant? :-)

This is what I usually do. Using AntRun is by far the easiest and
fastest way to add support for custom stuff. At the very least, it's a
good way to prototype. As long as you can do it easily in Ant, of
course.

> I personally don't have a problem writing a plugin and adding it to my build.
>  Reactor figures out the build order properly and does the right thing.
> Using the plugin archetype (via 'mvn archetype:generate'), you get a plugin
> skeleton with no work.

For me, a plugin is the last resort. Plugin writing is still seriously
under documented (I could only find "Hello World!" type examples) and
I keep running into things where I have to do serious research on how
to do something. That usually means having to find a plugin that does
something somewhat similar and then looking at the source code. Even
then I have run into cases where some feature works for the plugin I'm
looking at but I can't for the life of me get it to work in my plugin.

That said, some of my plugin attempts have worked out quite nicely.
Furthermore, I do get the impression that things have improved (a
little bit) in Maven 3. But still no decent documentation or examples
(that I am aware of). I would love to be proven wrong, though! :-)