On 2011-10-09 3:14 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
If you have to support 1.5, the easiest thing to do is eschew the use
of 1.6 features. Just set the compiler plugin options for source and
target of 1.5.
Yes, I have already done that part.

After you do that, you might still want the sniffer, since this does
not stop you from accidentally coding calls to methods introduced in
1.6.
The problem is I cannot figure out the intent of how the sniffer is supposed to work - in particular if it will even help with my particular problem. As far as I can tell the Hibernate folks have not set up the necessary signatures for the sniffer to tell me what I need to know.

When generating signatures, are we supposed to create a separate Maven project/artifact for the signature? For example

com.waycool.myapi
com.waycool.myapi.signature

If you really need 1.6 features, you might consider looking at
retroweaver, which can convert 1.6 jars into 1.5 jars. *However*, once
you start having two versions of a jar floating around (one for 1.5,
one for 1.6), Maven is not really terribly helpful. This is not a
use-case, apparently, that was anywhere near the front of the
collective Maven mind when the dependency model was designed.
It is not that I need 1.6 features - it is that somewhere I am pulling in a JAR file via Maven that has version 50 class files from Java 6 and the Java 5 run time can only recognize version 49 or earlier. I am trying to pin down which JAR file exactly, and then determine if there is an earlier version of the artifact that has version 49 class files.

As for the comprehensibility of the AS docs, well, KK is one of the
smartest, nicest, guys pumping out useful stuff for the rest of us.
However, the doc he writes is the doc he writes. Or, for another
perspective, I could quote Tom Lehrer: "The problem with folk music is
that it is written by the people." Considering what you are paying for
this stuff, you might be argued to be getting a pretty good deal.
Fair enough - you are precisely correct about free open source tools. I should have been more kind with my words, but instead let my frustration get the better of me.

My usual modus operandi is to go looking at a live example of the use
of something if I am unclear as to how to use it. This can be an
interesting easter-egg hunt.
And I am not even sure where to start the hunt.