> It almost seems like it is an internet connectivity problem, but I don't
> see how it can be, when it can download some jars, but not the remaining
> ones.
> C:\development\workspace1\project1>dir

This kind of problem is nearly always related to some antivirus software
running on your Windows machine or on your network somewhere. Try turning
it off or whitelisting the Java.exe process.

> [WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin is missing. @ line 84,
> column 15

Well let's do a thought experiment. What do you think (as a new user to
Maven) that error message means? As an experienced Maven user, it is super
clear to me, but I'd like to hear what you are thinking.

Wayne