On Jan 9, 2012, at 12:01 PM, Robert Scholte wrote:

> Even though I'm not a newbie, I can see 2 potential problems with this
> sentence:
> 1. line 84, column 15 of what? It doesn't mention the file. Sure, it always
> about the poms, but we're talking about unexperienced users here.
> 2. build.plugins.plugin.version ? This doesn't look like xml, so maybe you're
> not triggered to look inside the pom. And if you use a pom-editor, you may
> have never seen the xml.

Another observation I might try to append to Robert's list is how to separate
the signal from the noise.  My personal opinion is that Maven is pretty chatty,
which is great for experienced users, but a bit overwhelming for some new
users.

One option would be to reduce verbosity, but that doesn't really serve
experienced users well.  Another option would be what Karaf has done and that
is to use colorized logs.
http://blog.uncommons.org/2006/04/09/colour-coded-console-logging-with-log4j/
covers the gist of it.  The ANSI colorization characters are kind of ugly in
terminals that aren't set up correctly, but it might help improve readability?

Brian