Okay, the saga continues. I opted for configuring a second POM file to
remove the dependency on the parent POM. Now the checkstyle plugin is only
configured one time. All is good with the check but I still get the
checkstyle report generated twice when I run mvn site. I turned on debug
and nothing jumped out. I also run help:effective-pm and noticed an older
version of the site plugin, 2.0-beta-7. I think the latest release for
maven 2 is 2.3. I listed my second POM file for review. It's not a major
issue but I'd like to get rid of the duplicate Checkstyle link in the HTML
report generated by site.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd";>

    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

    <groupId>gov.va.vba.vbms</groupId>
    <artifactId>security-analysis</artifactId>
    <version>3.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
    <packaging>pom</packaging>

    <name>VBMS Security Analysis ${project.version}</name>

    <properties>
        <checkstyle.version>2.9.1</checkstyle.version>
    </properties>

    <build>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>2.9.1</version>
                <dependencies>
                    <dependency>
                        <groupId>com.puppycrawl.tools</groupId>
                        <artifactId>checkstyle</artifactId>
                        <version>5.5</version>
                    </dependency>
                    <dependency>
                        <groupId>gov.va.vba.vbms</groupId>
                        <artifactId>vbms-tools</artifactId>
                        <version>3.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
                        <classifier>build</classifier>
                    </dependency>
                </dependencies>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </build>

    <reporting>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>${checkstyle.version}</version>
                <configuration>
                    <configLocation>
                            security-analysis-checkstyle.xml
                    </configLocation>
                    <packageNamesLocation>

gov/va/vba/vbms/tools/build/vbms-checkstyle-packages.xml
                    </packageNamesLocation>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </reporting>
</project>

Grant

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 4:12 AM, Joachim Van der Auwera <joac...@progs.be>wrote:

> Could it be that you are empacted by
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/**browse/MCHECKSTYLE-142<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCHECKSTYLE-142>
>
> I guess not all maven properties are accessible in the checkstyle
> configuration. Depending on how you defined the cacheFile or
> checkstyle.cache.file properties, they may not be visible to checkstyle.
>
> Kind regards,
> Joachim
>

> On 12-04-12 04:59, Wayne Fay wrote:
>
>> Disclaimer: I don't use Checkstyle as a primary component in my builds.
>>
>>         <property name="cacheFile" value="${checkstyle.cache.**file}"/>
>>>        <property name="cacheFile" value="${cacheFile}"/>
>>>
>> Did you try leaving cacheFile out entirely? Did you try setting
>> value=""? Samples at the Checkstyle site show
>> value="target/cachefile", did you try that?
>>
>>  not sure why the plugin is complaining about it. Appreciate any thoughts
>>> before I opt for looking into the plugin source code.

>>> Caused by: com.puppycrawl.tools.**checkstyle.api.**CheckstyleException:
>>> missing
>>> key 'cacheFile' in TreeWalker
>>> at
>>> com.puppycrawl.tools.**checkstyle.**DefaultConfiguration.**getAttribute(
>>> **DefaultConfiguration.java:74)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.maven.plugin.**checkstyle.**DefaultCheckstyleExecutor.**