As far as I understood your scenario the one and only call between your php
code and java code is some kind of request (maybe via soap?). So the php
code does not become part of the java servlet and the java servlet does not
know anything of the php code.
You can use ear for the java artifact. The java servlet/war file was only
one scenario. If you are using maven ear plugin or maven war plugin is not
influencing the php artifact. The php frontend will perform a soap request
to a soap server. The soap server is realized by java code. Maybe you are
not using soap but some other protocol. Am I right?

And yes: You should not mix up php code and java code into the same
artifact as long as you do not have a direct dependency. There may be
situations where you may have a direct dependency. There are several
php-java bridges around that allow you to call java classes and instantiate
java objects directly within your php code. Even in this case you should
have a separate artifact.

My suggestion is a "three-artifact-scneario".
1) the backend is tested without knowing anything of the frontend (you may
use maven-ear-plugin or any other java setup)
2) the frontend is a php project. For testing the backend is mocked.
3) A third artifact is used to tie frontend and backend together. It
contains information how to download/extract/setup the frontend and the
backend. And it contains some test cases to ensure the frontend is working
with a non-mocked backend.