Can anyone explain which directories of a maven installation are used by the
plug-in management?  I have a few general questions:

1. I believe that in older maven version (<1.0) maven was storing plug-ins in the {user.home}/.maven/plugins
folder. Is this folder still needed or could I delete it?

2. When I manually download a plug-in jar file, where do I have to put it that maven picks it up? In previous
versions it was recommended to put the plug-in jar file in the {user.home}/.maven/plugins folder. If this folder
is not used anymore,where should I put such manual downloads?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas