Hello.

I'm attempting to package http://jogamp.org for use with Maven (with the
assistance of the author).

Because the package provides a binding to OpenGL, it obviously needs to
call native code. The way that the package deals with this is to
provide, for example, a "natives" package for each architecture. The
library itself has logic to unpack the right native libraries to the
filesystem at runtime, meaning that a user of the library simply places
"jogl.all.jar" on the classpath and does not need to do anything to
configure native libraries.

The problem: Maven demands that each jar file have a version number
appended. The library looks for, for example,
"jogl-all-natives-linux-amd64.jar" but this will obviously become
"jogl-all-natives-linux-amd64-2.0-rc9.jar" when deployed to the Maven
repository. As we want these packages to reach the Central Repository,
we want to avoid as much magic as possible. The author has stated that
it would be difficult/expensive to get the library to accept the
versioned form of jar file names (due in part to the large number of
different ways that jogl can be deployed).

Is there any way to get Maven to avoid appending version numbers to
jar files without breaking package resolution, or requiring acrobatics
on the part of someone wanting to use the package?

Any insight would be appreciated!