Crowdfunding is the way of the future and will accelerate the growth of open source and proprietary software. Apache will have to come to grips with it since it is a way for companies to ensure that their priorities get to the top of the pile if they are only interested in providing money. It will erode the power of the PMC since private groups will be able to fund specific enhancements that have value to an audience rather than features that appeal to the developers.

If the management of the Apache project leads the effort, it should be able to collect something but if someone else is doing the job, it is not clear where Apache fits in.

This means that the PMC will have to get a structure in place to focus user financial contributions onto worthwhile projects and guarantee that specific functionality gets incorporated into the project.

This will not replace the current collection of funds that are not dedicated or contingent on a specific result but will provide additional funding for specific features.

Ron