> > I did never suggest to modify the POM and said no word about any
> > future form of the POM, so I skip your comments about that and right
> > go on with the idea of a Platform:
> >
> >> I like some of your idea about the concept of a platform but this is
> >> not as trivial as you think.
> >>
> >> There is the issue of building with JDK5 an artifact to be run on
> >> JDK5 or
> >> JDK6
> > The idea of having a Platform interface actually solves exactly that
> > problem, since the JDK5 platform will tell how to build on JDK5,
> while
> > the
> > JDK6 platform will tell how to build on JDK6.
> Are you sure that you mean build? What are you building that is
> different?

Yes, I mean *build*. My source code needs the "@Resource(lookup = ...)"
field, which comes with Java EE 6, while Java SE 6 only has "@Resource"
without the field "lookup". So my code simply does not build, as long as
javaee6.jar ist a simple dependency in the user classpath. I need to have it
in the bootstrap classpath. This is why this thread is called "How to put a
dependency in the classpath BEFORE jre.jar?" and the original problem that
started it.

> It still sounds like an installation issue and "Package" is what an
> installer builder creates.

If you follow the thread to the start you will see that it has nothing to do
with packaging.

> Maven will build the modules that you need to create the package of
> jars that gets installed.

...and how does that solve the case described by me now for the second
time...? ;-)

Regards
Markus