On 17/01/2013 3:43 AM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
Am 17.01.2013 08:10, schrieb Anders Hammar:
You need to read up on Maven terminology. "deploy" means deploying/copying to a remote repo (outside your machine). What you seem to be aiming at is
"install" as installing/copying to your local repo on your machine.

Been there, done that. Can't say that the docs are easy to navigate - it's really hard to see whether you have seen everything relevant, and if you want to find the exact definition of some terminology, googling is useless because that terminology is used all over the place and nobody links to the formal definition.

But, you seriously need to look into how Maven is supposed to work.

Again, been there, done that, had the same problems.

I'm turning to this mailing list because the docs didn't work for me. Don't blame me for not having grokked it all, I haven't had a chance for that.

> Trying
to fight the Maven way will just cause you pain and us on the mailing list a lot of trouble trying to patch your work. Start by getting a repo manager
and set up a remote repo. You need that!

Then please tell why I need that. What's going to go wrong without it.
(A link would be fine.)

Ron, if you're listening here, could you please tell Joachim how you wasted
years not using a repo manager before you saw the light?

No religious terminology like "see the light", "don't fight it", or "Maven way", please.
I vastly prefer understanding over believing.
I also vastly prefer to be in control of the tools, instead of the tools being in control of me.

Maven does not work that way. It will take a load off you and give you a nice consistent way to develop but you need to do things in a sensible way. If you want to share 3rd party libraries which are not available in a Maven repo, you need to upload them into a Maven Repo.
That is your immediate use case for a Maven Repo.

A Maven Repo of your own will also clarify your understanding of how Maven works by an order of magnitude.

It only takes a few minutes to install Nexus. I can not comment on the other repo packages that are available.

I'm handing control to tools as I gain confidence in that they'll do what I want.

Maven is an all-or-nothing tool. Your projects can not be "a little bit Mavenized".

Unfortunately, Maven doesn't really qualify (yet) because of the trouble I'm having with the docs. (I'm not having that kind of trouble with the Spring docs, by the way. Just to give feedback and a data point.)

Have you skimmed a couple of the free books that are available?
You don't have to read each paragraph but scan a couple to get a sense of the way things work.

Do not try to optimize your build until after you get it working. That is a trap that I have seen a few times. People try to run before they walk. 1) Get your repo setup with a proxy for Maven Central, your deployment repos(releases and SNAPSHOTs) and a place for 3rd party libraries and setup your settings.xml files for your team
2) upload your shared jars and explore the Repo
3) Define your Parent POM for your projects
4) Get your builds going with minimal POM files and as few plug-ins as you can get away with.

Don't be afraid to have a number of Maven projects. You can connect them up later if it makes sense. If you are not using Eclipse/STS, I would recommend it. It comes fully Mavenized.

Ron

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc