Hi all,

I have a bunch of projects that need to extract files from an SVN repository as part of their build process. I need to make sure that all of them use the same SVN revision. It's initially determined as "whatever the current HEAD is", but since HEAD might change anytime, I need a way to make sure that all builds get their data off the same revision number (supposed to have been the HEAD in the near past).

I see three approaches:

1) Take a snapshot of the svn repo.
The main project downloads the HEAD from SVN and publishes a zip of the source tree. I'm not sure what the best packaging type for that is (jar would do but it would be misleading). The individual projects would declare the main project as a dependency, unpack the zip, extract whatever they need, and generate the intended artifacts. The downside is that it involves a 460 MB upload to the public repo, for something that's just an intermediate stage that in itself does not have any public interest.

2) Just record the svn revision number.
The main project asks the SVN what's the revision number, records it in a file, and uploads to the public repo. The individual projects would declare the main project as a dependency, extract the revision number, downloads whatever they need from the SVN repo, and generate the intended artifacts. The downside is that I don't know what the best way to store the revision number. A properties file? Place it in the pom itself under <properties> so that it can be used as a parent pom (that would be nifty but I don't know whether maven can properly handle poms that change while executing them)?

3) Manually record the svn revision number.
Set up a parent pom that has a revision property. Manually update that whenever building a new snapshot.
It's simple, but creating a new snapshot requires manual intervention.

Or maybe there's a fourth, much better way :-)

Any advice appreciated!

Regards,
Jo