If I recall correctly, property definitions within a settings.xml profile can't
be interpolated outside the profile within the settings.xml.   And the
rationale for this was that profile elements are a subset of pom files, not
settings.xml files.

See here for the comment accompanying the original implementation, which says
that this was explicitly disallowed:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2577?focusedCommentId=100862&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-100862

Rich