On 18 March 2013 22:52, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]

> similar problem to jszip so if you are packaging up javascript "modules"
> for consumption by Maven projects which should you choose? That is a hard
> problem.
>
> But if you are building a .jar file then you really just have three
> choices:
>   1. <packaging>jar</packaging> (if you don't give a rats arse about
> OSGi);
>   2. <packaging>bundle</packaging> (if you need OSGi)
>   3. your own custom lifecycle if one of the above does not fit your needs.
>
> But of course the problem that kicked this whole thread off has a simple
> solution, one that I mentioned quite some time ago, but I think you
> ignored. Namely making proxy modules for each of the 3rd party jars that
> you have to consume. They are just a pom.xml in a directory and they attach
> the jar you are getting from the file system into the reactor in place of
> the jar produced by jar:jar... they look a little something like this:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0"; xmlns:xsi="
> http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"; xsi:schemaLocation="
> http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd
> ">
>   <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
>
>   <groupId>com.foo.bar</groupId>
>   <artifactId>manchu</artifactId>
>   <version>1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>   <packaging>jar</packaging>
>
>   <build>
>     <plugins>
>       <plugin>
>         <artifactId>maven-antrun-plugin</artifactId>
>         <version>1.7</version>
>         <executions>
>           <execution>
>             <id>attach-artifacts</id>
>             <phase>package</phase>
>             <goals>
>               <goal>run</goal>
>             </goals>
>             <configuration>
>               <target>
>                 <copy file="foobar.jar"
> tofile="${project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}.jar"
> overwrite="true"/>
>               </target>
>             </configuration>
>           </execution>
>         </executions>
>       </plugin>
>     </plugins>
>   </build>
>
> </project>
>

> You have one of those for each non maven artifact and you just ensure that
> the correct dependencies are listed and that these pom files are referenced
> in the root aggregator pom and presto-chango there is your build. AFAIR I
> even suggested this when you first came to the list. It's a little hacky...
> you could do better with a custom lifecycle and your own plugin, but mostly
> around removing some boilerplate and simplification of the pom... but that
> would require pushing the maven plugin to a MRM (or central) and off we go

Jo,

Just for you, I have taken the 30 minutes out of my life and written a
Maven Plugin that will solve your issues with those pesky non-maven
dependencies.

https://github.com/stephenc/non-maven-jar-maven-plugin

You will need to wait a couple of hours for the sync to central before you
can use that plugin.

But it is designed for your exact use-case (adapted to the Maven way of
course ;-) )

-Stephen