I would not base your opinion on this one thread.

Joachim got off on the wrong foot by mistaking us trying to guide him
towards a path (where he won't fight maven all the way) for us being
evangelical and spouting religious dogma... Some of us in this list may
have egged on the troll vs troll style of this interaction, but the past is
a foreign country that we cannot visit, personally I think it should be
left behind, fault on both sides, therefore both sides gave some learning
to do.

The reality of Maven is it is an/the *opinionated* build tool. If you don't
like its opinions, don't use it.

Many find its opinions non-offensive, and are happy to put up with the ways
of working those opinions mandate.

Those if us here for a long time find its opinions the "dogs bollix" and
think they are the best way (usually as a result of lots of experience with
other ways which guided us back to the way maven directs... But others can
and do have other experiences that lead them away from maven's direction so
I am not saying that the maven way is "best", rather that I think it is the
way I think is best)

Some other people really don't like some of maven's core principles (I am
not one of those people, I suggest asking them for their reasons, I refuse
to speculate further than "they may not understand fully the reasons for
maven picking specific sides of some trade-offs" but I could be wrong, I am
biased in agreeing with the maven side of those trade-offs) these people
either fight maven all the way (ahem kohsuke my esteemed
colleague/friend shows symptoms if being such a fighter) or give up and run
away

I am currently working on trying to find a way to revamp the main maven
site to make it easier for people to get up to speed and grok the reasons
for maven picking the sides it picks as well as grok *where* maven says
"not my problem" (anything after a deployment environment agnostic artifact
has been delivered into the maven repository is not maven's problem BTW,
use other tools: Chef/Puppet/ANT/Gradle/Buildr/BASH/etc to turn that into
an artifact configured for the specific environment it will be deployed
into and put it in that environment)

-Stephen