From: Stephen Connolly [mailto:stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2013 9:58 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Is there a Maven plugin for the Java debugger (jdb)?

Why would you want to walk from New York to San Francisco when you can fly?

Some people are gluttons for punishment, some people like text-mode (works
better over plain ssh without resorting to eg X11 forwarding)

Finally debugging when the debugger and debugged process are on the same
machine rather than separated by a 150ms latency link is a lot nicer... And
sadly cli tools are the only way to handle that without adding significant lag.

Having said all that, debuggers are the tool of last resort, if you need to use
them you start worrying about heisenbugs etc.

A good log file beats the pants off a debugger 99 times out of 100... Ask
anyone who tried to figure out why the conference call talker indicators were
invalid or did work on any real time system and they will swear by a good log
file with mapped diagnostic context support.

Me... I worked on real time conferencing systems, so a good log file is what I
favour, you can't single step debug a real time teleconference ;-) the skills
you learn trying figure out techniques to debug such systems are very valuable

--
Sent from my phone