I did remove my local repository files (~/.m2/repository/...) and did an "mvn
install" and got this exact problem myself!

I'm however completely failing to understand why. I tried to add
"<relativePath>..</relativePath> to the "install" module but that made no
difference and since ".." is the one and only relative path to the parent it
should make no difference, so I guess that was correct :-). And why does it
start with trying to download the pom of the project I'm building. It is
available right there in the catalog I'm standing in when running "mvn
install". It should be downloading its parent pom, which it does and succeeds
with, but it should not be trying to download itself since it is already
running itself, and thus already have itself.

Do note that the top parent (the one being successfully downloaded) does not
contain any modules! It only provides plugins, properties, etc. It has no
knowledge of its children.

Regards,
Tommy Svensson