So, I tried my google-fu first - and in general my google-fu is very very
strong...

I've been fighting with this multi-module plan for some time now with the
developer who is reporting the issue to me.  The issue manifested itself as
part of a Sonar failure...  the funny thing is, that the failure was on a
dependenct tree resolution that Sonar was doing - so I had him try the
dependency plugin and perform a dependency:tree

dependency tree failed us...  well, it probably isn't dependency plugin's fault
but I am at a loss as to what it is really dying on or why.

I would absolutely love it if someone saw this and said "Oh yeah, I know that
issue.  Its a real pain.  They have XXX defined incorrectly in their
multimodule build so the dependency plugin is in a circular dependency loop"
(or something like that).  I have no idea if its a dependency loop, was just an
example.

I can't share the poms because its all proprietary closed source stuff (and I
have to be careful about what is shared).  If this means that I dont have
enough info to help, I can live with that - and will continue to plow
forwards...  I just wanted to see if theres someone on the list who knows
exactly what I should be looking for to help shorten my investigation time.

Here's an example of what dependency:tree is complaining about.

 mvn dependency:tree -Dverbose=true -DoutputFile=dependencies.txt -e -X

urls[38] =
file:/C:/Users/thisguysuserid/.m2/repository/commons-collections/commons-collections/3.2.1/commons-collections-3.2.1.jar
Number of foreign imports: 1
import: Entry[import  from realm ClassRealm[maven.api, parent: null]]

        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:139)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:209)
        ... 19 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginContainerException: An API
incompatibility was encountered while executing
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin:2.8:tree:
java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
org.apache.maven.shared.dependency.tree.DependencyTreeResolutionListener.manageArtifactSystemPath(Lorg/apache/maven/artifact/Artifact;Lorg/apache/maven/artifact/Artifact;)V