After Stephen mentioned trying different versions, I had the developer try
out maven 2.2.1.  I was about to report back that this worked and how
strange it was -- but before sending I saw this email from Vincent.

I'll pass along the system scope issue - perhaps that is the nail in the
coffin.  We reverted with 2.2.1, with instructions to work on making it
3.x compliant in the background.

Thank you for all the input on this issue.  It is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Roy