Thanks, putting a goal like this in the versions-maven-plugin is a
good idea :-).
Concerning automatic updates:
* We do this in some ways, in the end product teams have the
responsibility for a working release, so I may just advise to do this.
* Unfortunately Maven configurations and usage are to diverse to
enforce this easily.

Regards Mirko
--
http://illegalstateexception.blogspot.com/