Hi,

I have a new challenge for your maven-indexer expertise :)

What about adding additional information to the local index? I see the
default indexers (min, etc..) produce really minimal information. The
problem is that everybody is using these default indexers and all the
available indexes (maven central, etc) offer very little information that
you can actually use to make the index useful in an application outside of
really basic name, description, group, artifact, etc queries.

For instance, if I would want to add author information (to query by
author) or dependency information (to perform compatibility checks against
an installation/group of installed artifacts) or anything else for the
matter, what would be the recommended approach?

>From what I have currently researched, I see 2 options:

1) Have a custom IndexCreator that uses the updateDocument(ArtifactInfo
artifactInfo, Document document) method to fetch (HTTP GET) get the pom.xml
by using information from the artifactInfo object (repository, groupID,
artifactId, classifier, version, etc.) so that the resulting document
contains the extra information. It seems that IndexCreators are used a lot
more than they are advertised in the descriptions, not only for indexing
new items, but also when converting between ArtifactInfo objects and Lucene
Documents.

1.1) I had initially started going on this pat, but then I realized that
the artifactInfo that I receive in this method does not provide basic
information (i.e. artifactInfo.getRepository() always returns null ;-( ) It
would be awesome if information like context and/or repository would be
added to the artifactInfo object (maybe in
IndexUtils.constructArtifactInfo( Document doc, IndexingContext context )
?), the same way the ArtifactInfo.UINFO and ArtifactInfo.LAST_MODIFIED
fields are handled specially and explicitly added to a new Document that is
passed to the IndexCreators.

2) Handle this separately from maven indexer's work, and do it right after
index/update operations, i.e. let maven-indexer update the local index with
information from the remote index and then start manipulating the
underlying Lucene index by adding information retrieved from the network
(HTTP GET) from the remote repositoy's POM files. In a rough pseudocode,
something like:

indexer.update(repoX);
indexer.getAllIndexedArtifacts().forEach(artifact ->
  var extraData = getExtraData(repoX, artifact);
  var indexer.getLuceneIndex().add(artifact, extraData)
);

3) Any other suggestions?

My ultimate goal is (besides basic name/description queries) to be able to
perform compatibility queries on artifacts coming from multiple
repositories, so I need to find a solution to add this missing infrmation
(artifact dependencies, and maybe more).

As previously, your help and suggestions are most welcomed.

Thanks,
Eduard