Actually I think <comment> ought to be possible within pretty much any
"instruction" within the POM:

A dependency management item
A dependency
A build profile
A build plugin

However the first two are probably the most useful and were my original
desire. Now I can imagine this becoming the start of a more descriptive set
of declarations to describe the "whys" of a project but this kicks things
off in a pretty generic way.

And it's not just for the reader of an XML file to avoid going down a bunch
of upgrades to discover "why" there's a really old pinned library the
project doesn't even directly depend on. It's potentially useful for
interpreters elsewhere: imagine GitHub/IDE decide to provide a POM viewer
and it shows the comments within this. Might provide explanations as to
security matters and perceived bloat.