On 1 June 2015 at 09:40, Dan Tran <dant...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For my case, I am very fortunate to involve with the the product from early
> day (a year ba ck) and Maven is embraced to the max where plugins are
> developed to solve every build use case in a full dev/qa/releng integration
> pipeline. The developments are multi-sites and  heavily depending Maven
> Central like repository cluster and Maven release plugin.
>
> The odd thing to me is it is hard to find Java talent with a passion for
> build/ci with Maven, and it is also  hard to switch perl/python devops into
> java to maintain Maven build.  am I wrong here?

The odd thing to me is it is hard to find *any* talent with a passion for
build/ci with *anything*.

FTFY.

Its a niche market, and one that lots of people still dont see the value in.
Getting them to be excited about something tangential to development is
difficult - its like eating healthy and excerise, people know they should
be doing it but they aint.

I *still* see people attempting to develop software with no version
control, and hand crafted outputs from IDEs on their local machines.
We even get contractors coming in wanting to use VMs in dev that they
"promote" into production *shudder*.

They best you can do is to hope you can train your people internally about
why this is all good.

I'm sure I've said it before, but part of Maven's problem is that this is
all magically taken care of behind the scenes and less people need to know
how it works to make it work.
The downside is that there are then less people who can fix things when
they need fixing.