Hello Dan,

I started as a "normal" Python developer, then built and led a team of test
automation engineers while the management decided to switch to Java 10
years back and inherited CruiseControl, which we dropped for Hudson. I had
some small scale operating experience as well (email server/router). One of
my nowadays colleagues has been test automation engineer as well, the other
one was always into building completely.

I think because release processes are often very company/product specific
(at least when you got a huge legacy baggage), building engineers are
easiest trained or formed internally. However, without input from the
outside, you might miss fresh ideas.

Regards
Mirko
--