I think most people, at least once in their life, try to use their local
repository cache as an offline remote repository. However, the two aren't
the same in concept though, IIRC, the last time I tried. You still need to
keep the two separate.

Now it would be interesting if a tool existed to copy the contents of a
local repository and scrub its local metadata. That would then give you a
true "remote offline repo".

Cheers,
Paul