> Do you really think introducing XML namespaces would make the handling
> of the pom better ? In particular if you have a separate namespace for
> every plugin? (At apache maven project we have 49 plugins ? This would
> mean in consequence 49 namespaces? And at mojohaus there are about
> another 50 plugins? So this means having to use the configuration
> parameters for all the plugins and on top you need to do namespace
> configuration in your pom file? I'm the opinion this would make things
> worse than better...(There are some things which are better)...

I don't request to *require* the use of namespaces, but not to break if
a namespace is used. It would be competely sufficient when Maven would
ignore namespaces. The <configuration> element is specified having a
<xs:any> content anyway.

BTW, you don't have to specify the namespace on top, but can do at
directly on the enclosing element itself.

Here's my use case: I'm writing a Maven plugin which has an XSD for its
configuration. This is useful for rich autocompletion and inline
documentation tooltips in a decent IDE.

There are two ways how you could use this xsd:

* You can declare a namespace with prefix in the preamble of your
pom.xml but then have to use the prefix for all your configuration
options (which is quite a lot in my use case). You are not required to
use a namespace, though (because of the <xs:any> type of a configuration)

* Or, the better, more elegant way is to switch to the default namespace
to your plugin int the <configuration> element :

<project xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
         xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
         xsi:schemaLocation="....">
    <plugin>
       <m:configuration
            xmlns:m="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
            xmlns="https://myplugin.org/v1";>

          <myOption>bla</myOption>
       </m:configuration>
    </plugin>
</project>

Both usage patterns are currently broken in Maven 3.3.9

> In general pom changes in any way could only become part of pom model 5
> (Maven 4/5 in line)  cause it would break to many things...You can take
> a deep look into the jira for Maven 4..
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12316922&version=12330198

There is no change in the pom syntax required at all (i.e. the Schema is
exactly the same as defined in http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0), its
only about the proper XML parsing of a pom model 4 with namespaces
(which btw each decent XML parser is capable of).

But even then, is the document
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Moving+forward+with+the+POM+data+model
obsolete /wrt to XML namespaces ? Or what is the status of namespace
support for the next major Maven version ? (sorry, couldn't find any
information about this).

cheers ...
... roland