Actually, my initial message already explained the situation:

  1. With 1.x, I have no issues. That was my starting point.

  2. With 2.0, I had no desire to verride 'execute()'. It was simply the
     only thing that helped my project to function properly again. I
     would be glad to do without it, especially given that fact that now
     the method has been marked final.But I am still failing to
     understand what I should do *instead*. It is nice that you "expect
     it to work", because so do I. But in fact, it does not. I gave you
     guys a reproducer to play with and exactly specified which commits
     to check out and which integration test to run in order to see both
     my situation before and after the ugly workaround of overriding
     'execute()'. Maybe I missed the decisive hint in one of your
     messages, but for now, I have no idea how to fix my plugin without
     that ugly workaround. Probably there is a bug somewhere in the
     implementation in code I neither wrote nor ever touched, which is
     why I was asking for help here. Feel free to contact me off-list,if
     you think the noise is too much here.

Best regards
--
Alexander Kriegisch