The issue doesn't need to be a blocker to slow down someone. The problem is in
a number of issues.
And from user point it isn't important is it a core or plugin issue. I tried to move from maven 1 to maven 2. I started from the scratch and whatever I touch I found either a bug or lack of complete documentation or some strange design-programming decisions.
So for me it was a kind of slalom between non-blocker issues.
At first I tried to compensate with ant scripts, but now I imported maven into eclipse and use code as documentation. Of course I tried to run maven inside eclipse with embedder, but I just bumped to another problem. Anyway things started moving for me when I imported maven code into eclipse so I can see what plugins are doing, and I can change them if I found some behaviour buggy or illogical (at least illogical to me).

I just done a search in JIRA and it showed(all statuses) 127 bugs, 37 improvements for 2.x versions. Many of those bugs are manifested in different ways.

So, I use maven 2 because I really like the concept, but it isn't production ready, or at least it wasn't when I started using it(a month before 2.0).

That's my opinion.

Brett Porter wrote:
I think some heavy clarifications need to be put on this.

If you are moving from Ant, or starting a new project, there is every
chance Maven 2 is ready for production use for you.

I feel this is entirely about the plugins. There are a bunch of
plugins written for Maven 1.x (many outside of the Maven project),
that some people have come to depend on that limit the ability to
upgrade. To a lesser extent, there are some Maven project plugins that
are not yet finished. I think this mostly revolves around the site
generation, which is being worked on right now.

I'm not sure what core issues are being referred to - but I don't
recall seeing anything marked as a blocker for some time (the 6 in
JIRA are for the ant tasks, the embedder, and design issues for 2.1 -
none of which are under discussion here).

Another factor is a large investment in custom Maven 1.x scripts
within some organisations. That's not something Maven 2 can do a lot
about, and is a trade off for the person upgrading.

Hope this helps in clarifying it. It's important that anyone who says
it is not yet ready for production states a reason so we can focus on
improving that experience.

Cheers,
Brett