I've only been using Maven 2 for about a week so I'm probably not the best
person to answer the question, but from my experience:

1) If your project is heavily JDK 1.5 based, Maven 2 is not production
ready.   It's mostly because several of the plugins have not been updated
to the more recent versions of the libs that support JDK 1.5.   Those
include Checkstyle, PMD, etc... Without those types of maintainability
checks/reports, I cannot promote it's use in a production environment.

2) Likewise, it's nearly impossible to get the compile plugin to have
proper -Xlint:x,y,z arguments.   I've "hacked" it via:
<compilerArguments>
<deprecation>-Xlint:unchecked,deprecation,fallthrough,finally</deprecation>
</compilerArguments>
But if we didn't want the deprecation stuff, I'm not sure how it would
work.

3) There is a problem with maven and OS X JDK 1.5 in that it cannot
compile anything unless the compiler is forked.   Forking the compiler
isn't a big deal, but I don't think it's something we should have had to
do.

4) Documentation - the online documentation sucks.  The plugin config
stuff is all out of date.    I thought maven was supposed to make
releasing that stuff easier and quicker via the site targets, but the
maven people cannot seem to do it.  (Example: the online docs still don't
mention the fork stuff in surefire)   Another example:  we have some
thirdparty things that cannot be uploaded to ibiblio.   There are good
docs for how to use an internal repository, but not really how to get
third party things into it.   There has to be something easier than
hand-writing the pom file and hand running sha1sum on all the files.
Another example, in the plugin config docs you may see something like:
Parameter: systemProperties  type: Properties
Parameter: pluginArtifacts type: List
I haven't seen any docs on how to enter those types into the pom/xml file.
It's mostly been trial and error.   Ant has VERY good docs about it's
basic types.

5) Continuous builds - lack of support in cruisecontrol is a major
blocker.   Continuum is nowhere close to cruisecontrol yet, but it's
getting better.  (and continuum's docs are even worse than maven's)

6) Lack of other plugins like Emma for coverage metrics.  (clover is
commercial)

Don't get me wrong, Maven 2 definitely has a lot going for it, but there
are still some very rough edges that create a bit of a learning curve for
many "advanced" things.   If JDK 1.5 support was better and the docs were
better, it would be really close to production ready.    There are bugs
that you'll run into, but so does everything.

Thanks!

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer