Wayne,
The second way you describe is the way my project is defined.
Assume I have a couple extra modules defined this way and I only want
to build module1. If I issue mvn package all the modules will be build
correct? My question is: Is there a command line switch to tell mvn to
build only module1 (and it's dependencies). I know I could put  an
ignore clause(or something like that) in the top level file but that's
not really what I want.

Thanks,
Pierre