This has been asked quite a bit before, including in regards to the
Geronimo build. Which plugin are you referring to?

The assembly plugin should be replacable with the Maven assembly
plugin, which was one of them.

Any other plugins that do this should use sensible defaults based on
scope, and apply a filter to them. The filter can be configured on the
plugin. Note that this is rarely really needed, and I'd take a careful
look at your use case first.

- Brett