Brett Porter wrote:

Still thinking, one alternative is to do nothing with the
repositories, and build the javadoc plugin from source locally.
This is the route that I chose.
I pulled the latest maven-javadoc-plugin from svn, built and installed it in my ~/.m2/repository. I added a version elt to the javadoc plugin elt in the reporting elt in my top-level pom.

Result -
with configuration/aggregate=false, everything runs as normal...
setting configuration/aggregate=true breaks build pretty quickly because the plugin loads the src for all modules without appearing to load dependencies from their poms. Javadoccing then produces numerous errors as classes cannot be resolved.

One of the reasons that my project (wadi.codehaus.org) is broken into modules is that different modules require different versions of the same classes... So, I guess that even if the plugin did pull all the deps from the modules' poms, my build would still break, since it would suffer from multiple versions of the same class on the javadoc classpath.

Conclusion-
It doesn't look like WADI will be aggregating its javadoc in the near future :-(

Thanks to everyone for all their help with this,

Jules

- Brett