Tom,

Thank you so much for your help! :) I'm still having a heck of a time getting
things working though. I did configure my proxy completely from the one
provided by the web-site. I'm now trying to test the proxy's ability to
download from ibilio on demand. I dropped the following in my settings xml:

        <mirrors>
                <mirror>
                        <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>
                        <name>Optimus Repo</name>
                        <url>http://maven-proxy-host:8080/mvnrepo</url>
                        <id>local-proxy</id>
                </mirror>
        </mirrors>
..right after the http proxy settings. (Should I remove the http proxy
settings now that I'm using a local mirror and should not need to go out
through the internet?) Here's a complete copy of my maven-proxy configs:

<snip>

################ GLOBAL SETTINGS
# This is where maven-proxy stores files it has downloaded
repo.local.store=./maven/repo

#The port to listen on - not used if loaded as a webapp
port=8080

#This is the base area that all files are loaded from. While it is possible to
leave this blank, this behaviour
#is deprecated and will be disabled in version 2.0.  There are too many
namespace conflicts caused by not using
#a prefix.
#The repository will be shown at http://localhost:9999/repository/
#for the .war loaded into a webapp server, the default prefix is
"repository" (edit the web.xml to change)
# As maven doesn't like a trailing slash, this address shouldn't have one
either.
prefix=mvnrepo

#This is the simple date format used to display the last modified date while
browsing the repository.
lastModifiedDateFormat=yyyy/MM/dd HH:mm:ss

################ SNAPSHOT HANDLING
#If you want the proxy to look for newer snapshots, set to true
snapshot.update=true

################ M2 METADATA HANDLING
#If you want the proxy to prevent looking for newer metadata, set to false
(default is true)
#metadata.update=false

################ M2 POM HANDLING
#If you want the proxy to look for newer POMs, set to true (default is false)
pom.update=true

################ PROMOTION HANDLING
# ***** NOT CURRENTLY IMPLEMENTED *****
#Promotion describes the process by which new artifacts are loaded to global
maven-proxy repository.  It
# is designed to be used by "higher security installations" that do not want
to acquire artifacts from
# remote repositories without approval.
#
#If promotion handling is enabled, then the proxy will not download remote
artifacts without permission
# (local repositories with copy=false are considered to be local)
#
#Permission to download is granted via the Promotion menu which will be
enabled
#  when promotion handling is enabled.
#
#If promotion is false, artifacts are sourced from any repository as per
normal.
#
#Promotion and snapshots:  If promotion is enabled, snapshots are not
downloadable.  The concept of using
# a snapshot in a production build (which is primarily what promotion is for)
is counterintuitive.
##
promotion=false

################ WEB INTERFACE
# This defines the absolute URL the server should use to identify itself.
# This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you specify
# it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.
# The prefix will be added to this for the actual repository
# i.e. proxy available at http://localhost:9999/, repository at
http://localhost:9999/repository
serverName=http://localhost:8080

#If true, the repository can be browsed
browsable=true

#If true, the repository can be searched
searchable=true

#Not currently implemented. Will allow webdav access to the repository at some
point.
webdav=true

#Stylesheet - if configured, will override the default stylesheet shipped with
maven-proxy - absolute URLs only
#eg.  /maven-proxy/style.css, http://www.example.com/style.css
stylesheet=/maven-proxy/style.css

#bgColor / bgColorHighlight are replaced in the built in stylesheet to produce
a simple color scheme.
#If a stylesheet is set, these are not used.
bgColor=#14B
bgColorHighlight=#94B

#rowColor / rowColorHighlight are replaced in the built in stylesheet to
produce a simple color scheme.
#If a stylesheet is set, these are not used.
rowColor=#CCF
rowColorHighlight=#DDF

################ PROXIES
#This is just a hack, it should auto discover them
proxy.list=instagate

#Authenticated proxy
proxy.instagate.host=192.168.99.1
proxy.instagate.port=8080
proxy.instagate.username=***
proxy.instagate.password=*****

################# REPOSITORIES
#This is not just a hack, it specifies the order repositories should be
checked
#Note that the proxy adds a "/" which is why the urls aren't suffixed with a
"/"
repo.list=local-repo,www-ibiblio-org,dist-codehaus-org

#local-store
# The local store represents a location that local jars you host can be
located.
# This could also be achieved by having a local http repository, but this is
less cumbersome
repo.local-repo.url=file:///./maven/repo-local
repo.local-repo.description=Neware In-office Maven Repository
#If copy is true, jars are copied from the store to the proxy-repo. Only
configurable for file:/// repos
repo.local-repo.copy=false
#If hardfail is true, any unexpected errors from the repository will cause
#the client download to fail (typically with a 500 error)
repo.local-repo.hardfail=true
#Don't cache a file repository
repo.local-repo.cache.period=0

#www.ibiblio.org
repo.www-ibiblio-org.url=http://www.ibiblio.org/maven
repo.www-ibiblio-org.description=www.ibiblio.org
repo.www-ibiblio-org.proxy=instagate
repo.www-ibiblio-org.hardfail=true
#Cache this repository for 1 hour
repo.www-ibiblio-org.cache.period=3600
repo.www-ibiblio-org.cache.failures=true

#dist.codehaus.org
repo.dist-codehaus-org.url=http://dist.codehaus.org
repo.dist-codehaus-org.proxy=instagate
repo.dist-codehaus-org.hardfail=false
repo.dist-codehaus-org.cache.period=3600
repo.dist-codehaus-org.cache.failures=true

</snip>

I deployed into a Jetty instance and then pointed my browser at an arbitrary
file that I know is hosted on ibilio and not on the proxy. in the logs I get
messages indicating some attempt at retrieving the file but then I get either
a 500 error or bounced back to the config screen depending on how I form the
URL request.
http://maven-proxy-host:8080/mvnrepo/repository/cglib/poms/cglib-2.1_3.pom
gives the 500 error while
http://maven-proxy-host:8080/mvnrepo/cglib/poms/cglib-2.1_3.pom
bounces me back to the config screen. I believe the second form is the right
form but you can correct me if I'm wrong. I know you said it only downloads
when the request is made from the maven builder but I can't see how the
request would be any different. Are there extra params included?

Anyhow, I tried temporarily renaming my ~/.m2/repository and running a mvn
build to see if it would work that way. I got an error  something like
"remote = '<?xml' when I did so. I then noticed the maven-metadata-central
file under my ~/.m2/repository had HTML contents. I deleted it, removed the
internal proxy from my settings XML and generated a fresh maven
metadata-central.xml and retried with the internal proxy set again. I got a
bunch of checksum errors. I'm now working on deleting everything under ~/.m2
and starting fresh with the proxy set in my settings xml and will get back
with the results. in the interim anything you could do to help I'd greatly
appreciate!

Clifton C. Craig, Software Engineer
Intelligent Computer Systems -  A Division of GBG
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]