make sure to check this out:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-coping-with-sun-jars.html

cheers,
Stefan

2006/5/18, Stefan Hübner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Bruno,

> > I first run the eclipse plugin and eclipse is able to
> > load the dependencies.
> >
> > I then attempt to install, and the maven compiler
> > gives me messages like this:

/home/ole/workspaces/current/UIShowOneComponent/src/main/java/TestComponent.java:[1,29]
> > package javax.faces.component does not exist

so, does this mean, that your project depends upon JSF? if so, the
artifact "javax.faces:jsf-api" - as found in maven's central
repository - can't actually be downloaded. Reason is, there's just a
placeholder POM in the repo because of license considerations.

this thought, the jsf-library shouldn't be referenced by eclipse
either. If it does, does eclipse reference to a jar in your local
maven repo or somewhere else?

> > So eclipse sees the dependencies in the repository,
> > but maven does not.

the eclipse-plugin might have told you, to download the jsf-api.jar
manually, because  that JAR can't be found in the global repository.
you might have a second look on the eclipse-plugin's output.

just my 2c - may be, I'm misleaded

Stefan