I have to agree that public repositories should essentially be write-once media. As Maven grows in popularity, the repositories are going to need to be stable and artifact deployment will need to become an atomic operation.
Brad

Orjan Austvold wrote:

During the last 8-10 months we have experienced several updates in already released artifacts in the maven repository at Ibiblio. Many of these has been caused by reports to Maven evangelism.

For us this has been extremely problematic since the time of download of dependencies causes developers to have different POMs in their local repository. For us this has caused our projects to produce different builds dependent on which developer made the build and at which time the build was made.

Personally I strongly believe in once an artifact has been released -- with or without errors in the artifacts POM -- it should be left in the state it's in. If a change is required due to a malformed POM, a missing groupId, non-existing parent, missing dependency, wrong scope of a dependency or the alike, it should be left in the state it is in. If an update is required a new version should be released.

Due to the instability of released artifacts at Ibiblio we are now considering setting up our own repository (not a mirror and not a maven-proxy repository) to gain complete control over changes in released POMs. Of course this is not the intention of Maven 2.

Please comment.

Thanks,
Ørjan Austvold