I noticed that also, and created a JIRA issue for it:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-112

Martijn

Has anyone else noticed how the main jar file you create is now included
as a "dependency" when using the <dependendencySets> in an assembly
file?

Now the zip I create has 2 copies of my main jar in it?  One under the
output directory for files picked up as dependencies and one under the
main directory?

BTW this is only occurring with 2.0.4 too...I reverted back to 2.0.3 and
did an assembly and the main file wasn't included twice.

--Rudy

--
Download Wicket 1.2 now! Write Ajax applications without touching JavaScript!
-- http://wicketframework.org