Hi,

On 31.07.2006 at 11:42, Barrie Treloar wrote:

On 7/31/06, Roland Förther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

is it possible to specify a dependency on several modules
by a single dependency declaration (e.g. by a dependency on a parent
pom)?

You might want to explain more of what you are trying to do.

Ok, let me describe, what I'm trying to do. Think of a web client,
which acts on a J2EE middleware using many ejb client JARs.
Each ejb client JAR is an artifact generated by a maven project with type 'ejb'.
These ejb projects do not depend on each other and are part
of what we call a middleware application.

In the web client's POM I have to make a dependency declaration
on each ejb client jar separately. It would be nice for convenience to have a kind of maven project, which for example could be called 'application-x-ejb-client', that bundles the dependencies for a client and might help deliver them all
by providing a single dependency declaration on application-x-ejb-client
in thw web client's POM.

Also you might want to make sure the terminology you use is correct.
It took me a while to work it out and I can't guarantee I'm 100% correct.

A module is just a way to make building your application easier from
the command line.
It has zero effect on dependencies since in order to be a parent
module and have modules your project must be of type pom, which is
doesn't compile anything. (You do get pom.xml inheritance but that is
not the same as dependencies).  Through the use of modules you can run
a single maven command at the parent level and it will also be run on
all the modules.

A dependency is where your artifact requires the other artifact. And
with Maven 2 this is now transitive.  So if artifact A depends on
artifact B, and artifact B depends on C, then artifact A will
automatically pull in C through B.  You can have dependencies without
having a module.

I agree.

HTH

Thanks,